Russell County, Kansas Schools and Mills

The first school established in Russell County, was a private school in the town of Russell, in July 1871. It was supported by the colonists who located at Russell in April of that year. This school was kept in a small frame building, erected by the colonists for school purposes. It was large enough to …read more

Statistics of Growth, Russell County, Kansas

In population, the county has advanced rather slowly, some years being quite progressive and others retrogressive. In 1870, the population of the county was 156, and this was confined entirely to a small locality in the neighborhood of the coal banks on the Smoky at the eastern line of the county. The population at that …read more

Russell County, Kansas Newspapers

The first newspaper in the county was established in April 1872, but ante-dating its appearance, a small monthly journal was published and issued by Harbough & Corbett, which was devoted entirely to land business, and was named the Pioneer. That publication, however, is not entitled to any place in the history of the press of …read more

Russell County, Kansas Officers and Post Offices

County Officers, 1883 Commissioners; Charles Shaffer, J. B. Vanscoyc, Charles Wolcott, County Clerk; C. M. Harshberger (sic) District Clerk; J. S. Chadbourne Treasurer; C. P. Copeland Probate Judge; O. L. Atherton Register of Deeds; G. H. Johnson County Attorney; W. G. Eastland Superintendent of Public Instruction; J. B. Corbett Sheriff; W. H. Dewey Surveyor; S. …read more

Russell County, Kansas General History

Prior to 1869, Russell County was without a settler. In July of that year, one A. E. Mathews settled on a claim at the eastern edge of the county about three miles southwest of Wilson. About that time coal had been discovered in that locality, and the object of Mathews settling there was more to …read more

Russell, Russell County, Kansas

Russell is the seat of justice of the county, and has been since 1874. The town is located on the east half of Section 27, Township 13, south of Range 14, west of the Sixth Principal Meridian. The town was founded by the Northwestern Colony Association, whose headquarters were, formerly, at Ripon, Wis. The Association …read more

More Russell County History

To all intents and purposes, Russell is a prairie county, and for miles and miles, not a sign of a tree or bush can be seen., Standing upon the highest point in the vicinity of the county seat, which is located very near the geographical center of the county, one sees nothing but a wide …read more

Russell County, Kansas Biographies

The following 31 biographies were extracted from the History of the State of Kansas, 1883 and pertain specifically to Russell County. Ackerman, Theodore Banker, Louis Banks, W. E. Beemer, D. S. Bradbury, J. M. Bradshaw, George T. Chadbourne, J. S. Copeland, Charles P. Dixon, James J. A. T. Eastland, W. G. Fleck, Ira S. Giddings, …read more

Local Matters in Russell, Russell County, Kansas

Fires. In 1874, Russell was visited by its first fire, but the only damage done was the destruction of the depot. In 1880, a fire originated in Mr. Tustin’s store, being the one formerly occupied by Ackerman & Copeland, on the southwest corner of Main and Eighth streets, and before it could be extinguished, that, …read more

Russell County, Kansas Genealogy and History

Russell County is one of the central counties of Kansas, it being two hundred and forty-four miles from the Missouri River to the east line of the county, and one hundred and ninty-two (sic) miles from the east line of the county to the west line of the State. A line drawn through the center …read more